Friday, April 8, 2011

I Can’t Believe It Addendum (And Other Things)

IMG_8281 Ok, so last week I dedicated a blog post to amazing things I never thought I would see in Haiti.  It included guard rails that are now installed on the main highway (Route Nationale #1) that passes our house and leads to Port-au-Prince.  We had survey crews marking a line for the middle of the new pavement.  But I wouldn’t believe they were putting on lines until I saw it with my own eyes.  And here we are.  There are even dashed lines for passing, double no passing zones.  Amazing!

Route Nationale #1 just a couple kilometers from our home at Kaliko Beach.

Today our whole family made a trip to Port-au-Prince.  It doesn’t happen much anymore because it is a lot more work with the baby.  But Ethan, Emma and Elijah needed their passports renewed.  We got the paperwork together and showed up for our 9AM meeting.  It is a really nice new building and the process was pretty painless.  A missionary friend of our calls it the “mother ship” because it looks like the space ship when lit up at night.  One day we will see it.

IMG_8300 We also went to the suburb of Croix-de-Bouquets to check out the metal works.  We had not been for a while and wanted to take a Haitian friend to see if he might be able to start a business selling it.  The various artists take 55-gallon drums and create some amazing works of art.  The drums are flattened out and then a design is traced on the drum.  It is cut with tin snips and hammer out.  Sometimes the final piece is painted and sometimes left as natural metal with a coat of varnish to protect it.

Below are a couple more pictures of the men and their work.

IMG_8287

IMG_8318

No comments:

Post a Comment