There are lots of memories of my dear Oma as I think back. I am grateful to my parents who recently scanned a bunch of old slides and negatives. As I looked through them I came across this photo of my grandparents visiting us in Germany in the late 70's. Though our family moved all over the country and even to Europe, Oma was always there to visit. It was always a blessing to have that connection to our family who by then was scattered all over the world.
As I reflect on Oma's life, a word that comes to mind is faithfulness. She was born in Germany and lived through some of the most tumultuous times in its history. She followed her Opa Rudi to Canada, then to Australia and back again. She was a faithful wife, mother and a very hard workers. And more than anything I know Oma was faithful in prayer. Whenever we would talk over the years she would tell me she was praying for me and for my growing family. Through many trials and the suffering of these latter years she was faithful to the Lord who had been faithful to her.
I am thankful for a grandmother like my Oma. Probably my fondest memories are of the times at Frank Place in London, Ontario. We would visit her there in the big old house. Oma would buy us boxes of Shreddies (you have to be Canadian to know what they are) just so we could get the toys inside. Since we didn't have a TV at home we would watch as much as we wanted while visiting her. Oma was generous without spoiling us too badly. We knew we were loved.
Oma enjoyed a long life. The last years were difficult and she was basically bed ridden for the last 7 years. But she continued to pray. She was ready to go home to heaven and so in His time God took her into the faithful arms of her Savior Jesus Christ. She will be missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment