Often on my trips to Port-au-Prince I pass by the town markets. If it is market day in that particular town it is busy. The tap-taps are loaded with goods, people are everywhere and the stalls are full of fruits and vegetables. On the off days, the markets are much less busy. Most towns have one day a week for the market along with Saturday.
I snapped this picture as I passed through Titanyen on my way home. We like this market because it is right beside the main highway and always has lots of good produce available. The ladies are friendly for the most part and Heather enjoys negotiating prices with them. But today everyone has gone home. The goats pick through the trash left over from a busy day on Tuesday. Titanyen is quiet.
Same thing when I passed through Archaie. I needed a flat of eggs and saw a lady with several for sale just inside the market. There were a few merchants selling rice, beans, fish and other meats. But most of the stalls stood empty. They are waiting for Saturday when they will be full again of people buying and selling.
No market in these places today and it is just as well. We have had a couple days of unusually cloudy weather here in Haiti. The clouds are swirling around the mountains and the rain has come in fits and spurts. Lord willing the rain will continue so the newly planted crops can grow. And when the crops grow the markets will be full. The merchants will be able to scratch out a living selling their mangoes, carrots, onions and avocados.
No comments:
Post a Comment