In contrast to these folks, I am very grateful for the connections our family has to the church. My recent quick trip to Florida was for the purpose of strengthening these connections. As a minister I am a member of the regional church made up of other pastors and elders. The men of the Presbytery of the South get together twice a year to encourage one another, examine men beginning their ministries and to pray for the churches. By God's grace, and the circumstances of being geographically close to my Presbytery, I am typically able to attend one meeting a year.
It was good to be with the brothers. Again and again in conversations they reminded me that they and their churches pray for us. It is a personal connection we value very deeply. These trips back also enable me to meet new families as they host me. And on the Sunday after the meeting I visit churches to report on the work in Haiti - this time in Gainesville and Bradenton. The connections are good and all part of God's plan for growing the body of Christ together.
As I mentioned above, one of the things we do when the Presbytery meets is examine men to license them to preach or in preparation for them to be ordained to the ministry. The picture at left is Pastor Jeff S. from the examination of Jeff D. Meeting Jeff reminded me again of the way God brings connection together in the church. Jeff interned with a pastor friend of our family in Philadelphia before coming to Florida. I went to seminary with that particular pastor and Jeff reminded me that this particular church and pastor pray for us as well. Staying connected even after all these years.
No comments:
Post a Comment