Every week we try to have a day off we can spend together as a family. Usually it is Tuesday. Since I am away on Lagonav and in Port-au-Prince in addition to prep and administration work in my office, it is a joy to be able to spend a day with the kids.
Sometimes I will ask them the night before, “What do you want to do with Papa tomorrow?” Each one gets at least a little time with me one-on-one in addition to the time playing baseball, hide-and-seek or swimming in the pool. Lately they have been wanting to build plastic scale models with me.
I got started building aircraft scale models with my Dad when I was a kid. It has been an off and on passion of mine. Modern jet fighters and World War II Spitfires have been some of my favorite subjects. I brought some models and my tools to Haiti with me. And now the kids are into it too. Below is some of their work. They help where they can: cutting pieces off the plastic trees, putting on glue, a little painting. It is fun for them. We learn about planes, ships and tanks.
This 1/350 scale model of the Japanese I-400 submarine is the first project Ethan and I worked on. It is about 30 cm long but has lots of really small pieces. The photo at the top of the article shows some of the small photo etch metal pieces for the radars and periscopes. Ethan thought it was cool because it carried three floatplanes inside a waterproof hangar.
Soon after Ethan started building Emma got into the act. She liked this 1/72 scale F-18C Hornet. Most of the main pieces are now together. It will wear the marking of the VFA-22 Fighting Redcocks when done.
Even Elijah wanted to participate. He can use the cutting scissors to get parts off. He does a little sanding. And he really likes his 1/48 scale Tiger I tank. And man, does that thing have a lot of wheels. Only half are installed in this picture. It is taking shape and we are all having a fun time. There is also lots we learn about following instructions, history, how things work.
No comments:
Post a Comment