This is my first trip back to Haiti after being away for 7 weeks. That doesn’t seem like a long time but it has felt like it. The time off was good and being reunited with our now expanded family was very precious. Part of my trip is to get ready for the families return in early October.
It was a beautiful day for traveling over the Caribbean. The water was clear blue, the sky was bright and the clouds were puffy and white. Our route took us slightly south of the normal route so that we passed along the north coast of Cuba. It was clear enough that I could see the eastern most point of Cuba, we crossed the Windward passage and then entered Haiti over Mole Saint Nicolas. Perfect view.
After 7 weeks away one would think things have changed here in Haiti. So here are some of my first impressions. One is that the ten cities are growing again. There were several new areas with tens around the city. The tent city just outside Port-au-Prince at the end of Route Neuf is expanding again. There are also small villages of temporary homes springing up as far as 10 km from the city.
The roads are both better and worse. Just outside the airport a particular stretch has been gouged out by the rain. We received nearly 200mm of rain while I was gone in Kaliko and I imagine Port-au-Prince has about the same amount. Lots of bumps and dips. One Route National 1 on the other hand things are getting better. The Domincan company doing the road reconstruction is working on the section near Port-au-Prince again. The shoulders are expanding and it will soon be ready for new pavement. Traffic is up too.
There is some limited rubble removal and reconstruction going on. Most of this is being done by private enterprises her in Haiti or mission organizations. The large scale work has yet to get started. When I went to pick up our mail I could see temporary housing construction going on in full force. Maxima does wood work normally but they have now set up tents where they cut the lumber and then assembly wall panels and roofs for temporary shelters.
Lots to pray for. Thanks for keeping the family back in Florida in your prayers. Esther continues to grow well and the kids are really working hard at school. Continue to pray for safety as I travel to Lagonav this weekend and then back and forth to Port. Also pray for the mission as we sort through our working relationships with our church missions here.
1 comment:
Ben and Heather,
Thank you so much for sharing your lives with us through word and pictures. I pass your news on to our church and we pray for you regularly. I teach 3 primary age girls in Sunday School who are Emma's age, so we pray for her every Sunday. They love the pictures of Emma with her baby sister. One of the girls is child #5 in a family of 8, so she knows the thrill of holding a new sibling! I've enjoyed the family pictures you put on your blog. Can I get bigger versions of them on the Picasa site. How do I get to it? I would like to print them and put them up at church. In Christ, Jerrene Watzel, Winner OPC
Post a Comment