It has been quite a couple of days. My journey started yesterday around 5:30PM when I left our home in Ellenton for the trip to Fort Pierce. Deacon Matt Avery picked me up and we loaded all the goods and Thai into his Suburban. It was a three hour drive to the hotel. Wake up call for this morning was 5AM.
Our flight departed Fort Pierce, FL just after 7AM. We made a fuel stop in Exuma, Bahamas and then flew on to Cap Haitian in the north of Haiti. Breakfast was eggs, ham and toast, not really worth the $5 but filled the tummy nonetheless. After clearing Immigration in Cap Haitian we got back on the plane for Port-au-Prince.
Talk about poor airport security. I knew I was in Haiti when I saw this little girl running right beside the runway in Cap Haitian. The fence has large areas that are open and people obviously use the airport property as a shortcut. Since is was relatively clear we did have some great views of the famous Citadel on the mountain south of the airport. In the north the hills and fields are green but as we journeyed south in Haiti it got more brown. The rains are coming.
Once on the ground in Port-au-Prince it was time to clear customs. I was very grateful that they only opened one box. It was the digital piano we were bringing back to Haiti. Talked with the customs agent for a bit and he let everything go through without charge. You never know what you are going to get in Haiti but politeness does tend to go a long way. The airport was crazy with an arriving AA and Delta flight. I had to walk Thai through the airport on a leash which she didn't like much. No growling or barking though.
So I am finally on the ground and home after a drive by our friend Randy Lodder. Always thankful for friends. As we were driving home along Route National #1 I was think that not much seems to change in Haiti. The tents are still everywhere. Lots of people along the road. One new thing I did see was road signs near our home. They had speed limit signs, warnings about upcoming intersections and my favorite, the "watch out for cows" sign. This is definitely Haiti and I am definitely home. More to come. Please pray for the safe arrival of Heather, Marcie and the kids on Friday.
No comments:
Post a Comment