Travel and food seem to be regular themes of my days, particularly as I am driving to Port-au-Prince pretty often lately. The drives can be relaxing at times but you can never let your guard down. The highway is a fast traffic zone and you can't rely on the lines to keep people in their lanes. Buses, overloaded trucks, police cars and the occasional broken down vehicle in the middle of the road. It never gets dull.
My trips to Port-au-Prince also combine several tasks. The drive usually ends up being an hour each way so I like to make the most of the day away. This past week I have been meeting with Pastor Octavius at the church to prepare for a congregational meeting this Sunday. Our long-term residency permit needs to be renewed which involved standing in line at the bank, handing off the paperwork and planning for another trip to the police station to get it stamped. With a Vacation Bible School team coming Monday I have also spent time in the grocery stores to buy food for the team. Lots of food!
On my way home yesterday I came upon a fairly familiar scene. It was an express bus screaming north Gonaives, about an hour up the highway. And it was not the guys riding on the roof that caught my attention - I see that every day. When we came through one of the smaller towns, the bus slowed for the speed bumps (yes, there are speed bumps on the "interstate" highway here) and the two guys standing on the ladders jumped on. They had with them baskets of food that they then proceeded to sell to the guys riding on top. Haitian takeout!
No comments:
Post a Comment