Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Why we learn Kreyol

Some days language learning can seem like a real chore. And some days you feel like you are not getting anywhere. What did he say? I don't get it. This is frustrating. All things we have said.

But I was reminded of the real need and value of learning the language as I read these words from the wife of Robert Moffat, 19th century missionary to South Africa:

"The importance of acquiring the language of the Bechwanas soon became apparent to the earnest-hearted missionary. One day he was much cast down and said to his wife, "Mary, this is hard work." "It is hard work, my love, " she replied, "but take courage, our lives shall be given us for a prey." "But think, my dear," he said, "how long we have been preaching to this people, and no fruit yet appears." The wise woman made answer, "The Gospel has not yet been preached to them in their own tongue in which they were born. They have heard it only through interpreters, and interpreters who have themselves no just understanding, no real love of the truth. We must not expect the blessing till you are able, from your own lips and in their language, to bring it through their ears into their hearts." (Robert Moffat: The Missionary Hero of Kuruman by David J. Deane, pg. 48)

That is why I learn. Pray for me particularly as I desire to communicate the truths of the gospel in the language the people understand. And in the meantime I am thankful for the grace God gives as I make mistakes, and for the great interpreters he has brought my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment