Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ale, Vini ... Ale, Vini

No it's not Julius Caesar speaking in Latin - it's Creole for coming and going, coming and going.  Actually going and coming : )  There are lots of ways to come and go to Lagonav and I have used them all in the past 4 weeks.

IMG_0756

The batiment is the cargo boat, taking everything from rice and flour to goats and chickens over to the island.  It is also usually loaded with people.  I had one nice trip on a beautiful calm day.  I had another trip on a morning the ferry was not running.  It was fairly rough and I got soaked.  Not fun but I made it home!

IMG_0642

Another faster way to travel to the island is by flyboat.  It takes about 25 minutes for the fiberglass speedboat to take the 20-25 passengers to Ansagale.  The picture above shows them loading up at the wharf in Carries, not far from our house in Kaliko.

IMG_9668

My normal mode of travel to the island is by passenger ferry.  The Ozone Express is pictured, but the Vierge Caridad also makes the trip on alternate days.  It is a comfortable ride on a calm day.  On rough days the ferries either don't run, or brace the waves.  Most of the time we keep dry!

IMG_0980

It has been a month of comings and goings.  Our whole family here is very thankful for the work that was completed on the guest house on Lagonav.  But I am glad to be home without plans for a trip to Port to pick up supplies, drop someone off at the airport or make my way over to the work site again.

IMG_1078

Two days ago Bob Wright, Broc Seaman, David Nakhla and I made our way back on the ferry.  It was a beautiful morning.  It was also a tired crew who were up at 4AM to make the ferry in time with all our tools and belongings.

IMG_0870

The guest house is closed and locked for now.  There is still lots of work to do.  But we are thankful for the grace of God - the God who has provided protection, strength and wisdom over the past four weeks.  Thanks again to all who helped with the work and left their loved ones behind for the time they spent in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment