Winston Churchill, leader of Great Britain through the tumultuous years of World War II, spoke the following in his first address as prime minister:"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God has given us, to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalog of human crime. You ask what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory, victory at all costs; victory in spite of all terror; victory however long and hard the road may be."
I have for quite a while had a keen interest in the Battle of Britain and that amazing period of the summer of 1940. Hitler and his armies had swallowed up Europe and now made Great Britain his target. If you read the history it is an amazing lesson in the providence and sovereignty of God.
But what has struck me in a deeper way recently, is the way this quote parallels the overwhelming task that faces us in Haiti. We know that we go to a land full of suffering and tears, and that the suffering will also come to our doorstep - physical, emotional, mental. However we also know that our heavenly Father has more for us than what we see with our eyes here on our earthly pilgrimage. He has gone to prepare a home for us.
And as I consider the spiritual darkness in the land of Haiti I recognize that as in Britain in 1940, our only aim can be victory. We do not go to merely better people's lives, to help them get a leg up or to speak platitudes into their difficult lot. We go with a message that highlights the work of Christ who brings dead hearts to life and gives eternal life. The road may be difficult and tortuous, but victory is assured in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment