This weekend we celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. For all your Americans out there, it is held in Canada the second Monday of October. It is a chance for families and friends to get together to give thanks for the many blessings we receive. And as believers in Jesus Christ we have even more reason to give thanks.
There are lots of Canadians ministering in Haiti in various capacities. As I looked around the table this afternoon I was amazed to think we had met all these people in the year and bit we have lived in Haiti. The fellowship on the mission field is rich. We are thankful for our various friends and the ways they enrich our lives, challenge our faith and support us in many ways.
All together we had 19 people here for our Thanksgiving dinner. That included two honorary Canadians who were from the USA. The guests came from Port-au-Prince, Mont Rouis, Saint Marc and other places in between. We enjoyed the typical fare - turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, gravy and pumpkin pie. You really can get most anything in Haiti. Our turkey was a Shurfine Young Turkey imported from the USA.
I was reminded again as we gathered together to eat, talk and then swim of God's continuing care and his many blessings. Though we are far away from our families this Thanksgiving, God gives in place of the loss another kind of blessing. And in Christ we have everything we need. "I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving. This will please the Lord more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs." (Psalm 69:30-31)
No comments:
Post a Comment