Not really, but I did spend this past Lord's Day at our church in Gran Lagon. Translated from the French or Kreyol it means "big lagoon".
On Saturday morning I had a good trip over, having met Dan Irvine, a friend who works with the Wesleyan Mission and lives over on the island. The Vierge Caridad left the dock shortly after 11AM. We were about 10 minutes out when the captain turned the boat around. Engine trouble? Something else wrong? As we pulled back to the dock at Carries it became apparent they were going back for some late passengers. A 25 minute delay for 4 people! We heard some of the crew commenting that if it had been their mother the captain would not have gone back!
I spent a pleasant night on the roof of the guest house. The stars were bright and the town pretty quiet. The wind is always blowing and it cools down enough for me to pull on a blanket. The sun does come up early though.
It is now Sunday morning and time for our trip to the church. The scheduled departure time comes and goes. It turns out to be a problem with the starter/electrics. It is all fixed and at 7:45 we are off. The flight is only 45 minutes delayed, pretty typical. Here are some trip stats to give you an idea of how bad the roads really are. And the road was in pretty good shape this time around.
9.62 miles - 1:17 trip time - 7.4 mph average - 24 mph max speed
It is always good to get there and particularly when we are worshipping our God together. The more
I use various interpreters the more I realize the need to get my Kreyol to the point where I can preach myself. It just isn't the same. Do continue to pray for me as I work toward this goal of preaching the gospel in the language of the people.
Monday morning following Sunday is always an early morning. The early wake-up call at 4:30AM does have its up sides. I get to see the sunrise. The air is always at least slightly cool. And I get to enjoy a boat ride with the wind in my face and the sound of the ocean. God is good! Home again.
No comments:
Post a Comment