Monday, October 13, 2008

Waiting For My Ride

Boys fishing at wharf in CarriesSince the churches we directly work with are located on the island of Lagonav, I travel by boat there on a fairly regular basis.  And while the know a little of the "schedule", I still end up waiting at the wharf a fair bit.

So there I was the other day, waiting for my ride.  Sometimes I have someone to chat with; other times I am sitting at the front of the Ozon Express alone watching the happenings down on the wharf.  It is an interesting scene. 

There are always lots of kids hanging around.  Sometimes they take off their shirts and pants and go diving.  Other times they fish off the dock.  Just a piece of line, a homemade hook and some bread they toss in the water.  Not much success.

IMG_5187

Meanwhile the ferry is being loaded up.  Not only are people making their way to Lagonav but all the goods not available on the island go over by boat.  The wheelbarrows are full and down comes the rice, chairs, potato chips, soda and miscellaneous household goods.  The men work quickly, sweating, calling people to make way.

While you wait it does get hot.  There is no shade on the wharf besides the shadows of the big steel trusses.  So the vendors sit along the dock selling drinks and snacks.  20 gourdes for a bottle of cool water or Coke.  Not bad at 50 cents, but you have to make them dig for a cold one.  The drinks are held in coolers with a big chunk of ice inside.  In the early morning the drinks are not cold yet.  Best to wait a bit.IMG_5185

Others want a quick bit to eat or some fresh produce they want to take with them to the island.  Everything is more expensive on the island so best buy it before you cross.  Bananas are a popular item.  Usually 1 Haitian dollar per banana (5 gourdes).  But you still have to haggle.  Most times everyone goes away happy.

Around 10AM the boat is readying to leave for Ansagale.  Lately a guy with a megaphone has been walking up and down the dock shouting at people to get on board.  Since they want as many passengers as possible they wait, cajole and blow the horn.  People slowly make their way down.  The boat is filling up.  Another long blast on the whistle as it nears 11AM.  You just never know exactly when the ferry will leave.

Pepe at the Carries wharf

And while we wait, let me introduce you to a couple guys who work the boat.  These are people I have gotten to know over the time we have been in Haiti.  Pepe (at left) is the guy in charge of the cargo.  While I try to travel light, sometimes I have boxes to take over.  Or when a team comes we have lots of luggage, a generator, boxes of food.  So I haggle with Pepe over the price.  I know it should cost about 10 Haitian dollars per item, but he usually starts really high.  800 dollars, Paste! No, 250!  OK, 500!  And on it goes.

One trip in July Pepe started as usually really high but would not come down to my price.  So I said, fine, I will send everything over on the batiment.  I refused to pay his price and tried the bluff.  I waited a around a while, talked with the guy from the batiment on price.  Finally I see Pepe go over to talk to the captain of the Ozon Express.  Captain of the Ozon ExpressThey chatted over a couple minutes and the captain gave the nod.  Pepe came over and agreed to my price.  Everyone was happy.  I got my things to Lagonav with me and they got some extra cash for the cargo.

Finally the captain steps onto the bridge and it is time to go.  One more blast from the horn.  The ropes are disconnected from the wharf and we back out.  It is a beautiful, smooth day for a boat ride.  Off to Lagonav, waiting in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment