I didn't take the photograph to the left, but I did see that scene the other night. On most night you can see the Milky Way and night time stars in all their glory.
Missionary service can sometimes be frustrating, difficult, discouraging. But there are some great things too. God has called me to minister in Haiti so I know I am supposed to be here. But do I love my job? I do, and here are some reasons why. They are not all that profound but they do make the day to day easier
- Watching the stars at the guesthouse. The lack of light pollution makes it a great place to marvel at God's creation.
- Kids at churches recognizing me when I come. Sometimes I wonder whether I really make an impact. But I know I do when a young child at a church smiles at me because they recognize me and know I am coming to bring them spiritual nourishment.
- Learning interesting new Creole expressions like kasket chinwa. It literally means a Chinese hard hat but stands for a delicate situation. I think the idea is a cheap hard hat that is easily broken.
- I get to relax at the beach after a long hot day of work. Especially when I am hearing about subzero temperatures back home the warm ocean water really refreshes. And in the brutal heat of summer it is good to know I can wash off the sweat in the pool after working hard all day.
- Commuting to work across 15 miles of ocean on a ferry. I never get tired of the crossing to the island of Lagonav. I love the waves, the wind and the fresh air. Lots of interesting people and marine life too.
- I know there are lots of people who are praying for me all over the world. Thanks. It is good to know.
- Trying new fruits I have never had before while traveling out in the country on Lagonav. The island is an agricultural community and besides the grapefruits, avocados and mangoes I get to eat corasol and tamarind seeds. Ever had them? They are wonderful right from the tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment