Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Visiting Churches

Our time of visiting churches will soon be coming to an end.  Our family is preparing to return to Haiti March 1st.  The airplane tickets have been secured, we are collecting goods we need to take back and all the while continuing to visit churches all around the country.  So while we continue to travel I thought you might be interested in what a weekend visit to a couple OPC churches looks like.

Saturday 11:50AM Leave home for the airport.  The drive to the Tampa airport takes about 45 minutes and the traffic is light in the middle of the day.  Heather drops me off at the curb, and 15 minutes after saying goodbye I am through security and at the gate waiting to depart.

2:54PM The pilots of the Boeing 757 make a smooth landing in Atlanta, first stop on a day that will eventually take me to Memphis, TN.  The layover is nearly two hours, which I spend grabbing a bite to eat and reading a book.  I also enjoy watching the planes come and go.  Atlanta is a very busy airport.

5:05PM We land in Hunstville, Alabama after skirting some rain clouds.  After collecting my bags it is off to the car rental desk to get my car.  I am anxious to get on the road as I have a three-hour drive ahead of me.  Again the traffic is light and my GPS takes me along Hwy 72 to Pastor Mark Winder's home in Collierville, TN.  Just 175 miles to go.

8:20PM The first day of travel is done.  I am tired, more from the drive through rain and fog than the air travel.  The Winder's and I spend some time getting reacquainted and then it is off to bed to be ready for the Lord's Day activities.  And some more driving.

Sunday 9:30AM We have arrived at Wolf River OPC for the morning service followed by a presentation on Haiti.  I spend time talking with church folks before the service.  I am always amazed how every church I visit has at least one person with connections to Haiti.  This morning I get to speak with Creole with a man who spent 2 years in Haiti over 20 years ago.  Fun to make the connections and hear his story.  After the presentation, lots of good questions, a long time of fellowship and then on the road again back to Huntsville.

1:10PM On the road again.  I have to say I do enjoy driving.  Whether it is with my family or alone it is always productive time.  Today I listen to some sermons and chapel talks I have downloaded previously to my phone.  The time goes quickly and though the clouds are low and gray, no rain today.

4:20PM Arrival at Providence OPC in Madison, Alabama.  People have already begun to gather for a special late afternoon presentation on the work in Haiti.  Even though the Orthodox Presbyterian Church has over 300 churches it still feels in many way like a family.  I know the pastor here from my time pastoring in South Dakota.  His church was just two hours from Freeman.  And many of the families here I met over four years ago on a visit with the whole family before we left for the field in Haiti.  Though I have done the presentation countless times before it is always a joy.

6:10PM The presentation is over and now the reward - coffee and Krispy Kreme donuts.  People hang around for a good while.  Lots of good questions and the interest in Haiti it apparent.  I know these people will pray.  Then to the pastors house for more fellowship and a relatively early night ahead of my return home on Monday.

Monday 4:30AM The tones of a Marimba tell me it is time to wake up.  Quick shower, breakfast, pack up my last things and off to the airport in the dark.  Drop off the rental car, get boarding passes, through security and make my way to the gate.  Huntsville is the home of the Redstone Arsenal so the flight is full with business people leaving town for the week of work.  The Bombardier CRJ200 is full this morning.  We leave Huntsville in the dark and quickly enter the low clouds.  But at altitude the sun is coming up and I can see it in the east.  We land in Memphis, TN within an hour.

8:40AM Today the layover is just 50 minutes, which is fine by me.  I want to get home.  And I know Heather and the kids want to see me even though I will only have been gone from home for 48 hours.  The flight is only half full so once everyone has boarded I am able to change over to an exit row seat.  A little extra legroom is appreciated and I spend the flight doing some more reading.

11:15AM We have moved our watches ahead an hour and are now on approach to Tampa International Airport.  I can see home out the right side window.  And I know Heather is somewhere on I-275 driving toward the airport.  Another smooth touchdown and we taxi to the gate.  The seatbelt sign goes off and everyone moves for the door.  I call Heather and she is about 10 minutes out.  The train takes me to the main terminal where I go down to the baggage claim area and out the door.  It is going be a humid day.  Around the corner comes the red van.  I am almost home.

12:30PM Home, sweet home!  They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder.  It is true and I give thanks for the way God has drawn us closer as a family through the year of traveling.  I prefer to be home but the reunions are sweet.  Another trip, a few more miles.  God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment