I thought you might be interested to hear about my first visit to the doctor here in Haiti. The story started over a month ago but I wanted to wait until I had a few pics to accompany the article. So here it is.
Approximately a month ago I cut my hand one a stone pot. I thought we cleaned it out pretty well and it began to heal well. Then a couple weeks ago the bursa in my elbow got inflamed, red and hot. Since I was over on Lagonav at the time I went to the Wesleyan Hospital to get it checked out. You tend to take things a little more seriously here in Haiti.
I was ushered into a room in the hospital. The nurse came in and checked my weight. Then we waited a few minutes and another nurse came in to check my blood pressure and ask what was wrong. After a bit the doctor came in and checked my elbow. He confirmed that it was an infection. The whole visit was about 30 minutes and we left with the antibiotics and ibuprofen. The visit and medication all for 400 gourdes ($11.00).
Unfortunately the infection didn't go away. We were very thankful that a team was arriving from the US at Mission to Haiti in Port-au-Prince. I was able to see Dr. Mike. He again confirmed the diagnosis and gave some stronger antibiotics plus told me to put the arm in a sling to allow the medicine to work better.
After a couple days still no definitive results so it was back to see Dr. Mike for some minor surgery. He and the team of nurses who had come to help out in the towns of Haiti open the elbow, drained out the infection and cleaned it out. Along with a couple antibiotic shots and more pills everything began to clear up. Thanks to Dr. Mike and his team. God provided. And that is the story of my first medical adventure here. All healed!
No comments:
Post a Comment