Sunday, August 24, 2008

Postcard from Pennsylvania

IMG_4395

I (Ben) am currently writing from about 10,000 feet above the state of Delware, on my way to Miami and home. I am making a quick weekend trip to Reading, Pennsylvania to visit a church and talk about the mission here in Haiti. The church in Reading is pastored by a good friend Wendell Stoltzfus who is seen above with his wife Priscilla and their three kids. We are also discussing the possibility of medical missions teams to the island of Lagonav as well as other possibilities.

It has been a quick trip but a very good and productive weekend. We are grateful for all the help the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC) in Reading, PA has provided. And this weekend I got to thank them in person and meet some of the folks who have been praying.

IMG_4361

The flights from Port-au-Prince to Miami and then on to Philadelphia were relatively uneventful on Friday. We were delayed an hour on the ground in Miami because of thunderstorms transiting the area. We did overfly tropical storm Fay also, but experienced only a few bumps. Our prayers go out to all the folks in Florida affected by the torrential rains.

IMG_4375

It was good to spend time again with Pastor Wendell Stoltzfus who Heather and I know from our time at Westminster Seminary. I experienced the wonderful hospitality of the church at a Saturday afternoon picnic as well as the Sallade's, Lucas's and Kelly's. Thanks for the opportunity to share Haiti with everyone.

IMG_4388

Coming back to the United States however briefly also gives opportunity to do a little shopping. We don't have Walmart or Target in Haiti so I did pick up necessary as well as desired items. I remember fondly my Dad going on trips away from home and coming back with some small gifts for us kids on his return. Now I can do the same for my Ethan, Emma Grace and Elijah. One of the joys of parenting.

We are also currently researching vehicles for use on the island of Lagonav. It is very expensive to rent a truck. So why not an ATV. Through some contacts in the church we were able to go to a dealer and look at some vehicles. We might even be able to get something that would transport the whole family to church on the rough roads of Lagonav.

IMG_4380

It wasn't all work of course. I did go on a paddleboat ride at the church picnic and got to fire a potato gun at the Kelly's. Check out the video clip!

It has been good to go, and now good to be on the way home. It is dark outside the window and the ride is smooth. I will overnight in the Miami airport and then take the early flight to Port-au-Prince. Lord willing we will all get home before noon Monday.

IMG_4426

1 comment:

Barbaranne said...

Ben it was great to meet you in person and hear more of what daily life is like for your family there. We will continue praying for you- and are now concerned with the reports from hurricane Gustav. May you all be safely in the Lord's care and may the recovery from this storm be accomplished quickly and well.

I was also tickled to see your own videos of the potato gun- I already posted ours from earlier in the day on my blog!

Post a Comment