Saturday, November 28, 2009

Looking for Teachers

I thought that I would use this blog entry to put out a call for teacher’s for our church leaders.  One of the important parts of my task here in Haiti is training  the leaders of the various churches on Lagonav.  In fact, we regularly have nearly 20 leaders from our churches at our seminars plus 4-5 men from other denominational churches on Lagonav.

IMG_1116While I do sometimes teach the men on my own, I much prefer having people along to help me.  I am looking for pastors or ruling elders who are interested in instructing the men on various Scriptural topics.  For example, this year we have done two sessions on worship, one on officers in the church and this weekend are doing some teaching on preaching.

These are the men we teach.  They come mainly from the countryside of Lagonav.  Many of them are elder candidates in the churches who we have been working with since late 2002.  They are very eager to learn and always ask great questions.  These men need to be trained so that they can effectively lead the church and preach the gospel to this needy nation.

IMG_1122Since most of you don’t speak Haitian Creole you might be thinking how can I help?  That is where our interpreter Max comes in.  He has been helping us communicate the truths of the Bible to the men for a year and half now.  In this picture John Currie, OPC teaching elder, fields a question from our men.  John is a good friend from my days at Westminster Theological Seminary and now serves in their development department.

But it is not all work!  There are lots of laughs and you get to experience life in Haiti.  We always enjoy good Haitian food while teaching at the seminars.  Here Max, John Currie and deacon Daniel Lascaze from Amoskeag OPC in New Hampshire laugh it up.

IMG_1126If you are interested in helping teach here in Haiti just send me an e-mail.  The cost is reasonable, the weather is great, particularly if you want to get away from a snowy northern winter, and the fellowship is sweet.  Come and visit us in Haiti and use your gifts to God’s glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment