The team that has been here in Haiti with me this past week has taught me a new phrase: “Semper Gumby.” It means always flexible. And they have been. The team of five from Bangor, Maine and Grand Rapids, Michigan have finished a great variety of tasks over the past ten days. The team was (from left to right) Rick, Jay, Russell, Len and James.
The most exciting from my perspective was completing the worship area at the Port-au-Prince site. As before the quake, the Port-au-Prince joint church plant will be meeting at the same location as the schools of Coram Deo International Aid (www.cdia.org). The basic frame had been built but our guys worked for three days to complete the structure and put the tin roof on. It was hot but they were real champs.
The guys were especially flexible as to the changing conditions and variety of work. Not only did they work hard during the time on Lagonav and Port-au-Prince, but they also accomplished tasks around our home at Kaliko. I know Heather will be very happy with her new countertop on the island.
I also continue to have my flexibility challenged as I spend time in Haiti. Over the last couple days it became apparent that we were going into a fuel shortage again. It seems to happen here at least once a year. As I ran errands around Port-au-Prince I saw the lines at the gas stations grew. Providentially, the time for the team was coming to an end and my travel is limited. I was able to find about 6 gallons at a couple of roadside stops. The price was surprisingly reasonable. I think that the police are cracking down on profiteering because of the shortage. Follow this link to the story. Always flexible!
No comments:
Post a Comment