No, we have not disappeared. We have just taken a short break from blog posting as we prepare for another team that arrives next Tuesday. Things in Haiti continue to simmer quietly. The political situation is still uncertain. Everyone is waiting for the Provisional Electoral Council to announce the final results of the first round of elections. Lots of pressure being put on various parties by the international community. Demonstrations have been sporadic but not widespread.
I was hoping to go to Port-au-Prince on Wednesday but got stuck north of Cabaret. As I approached a bridge on the highway I noticed it was blocked by a big truck. People had pulled off the road to wait and see. It turned out there was some tire-burning in Cabaret and I ended up turning around and coming home. Today I was able to get to Port for the business I needed to take care of.
A team from Michigan comes Tuesday to do some work on the guest house. Times are still uncertain but the latest intelligence suggests it will stay quiet for the next few weeks. Below are some links to recent articles on cholera (thankfully abating somewhat) and Haitian politics (always interesting). Again, thanks for praying.
No comments:
Post a Comment