Friday, July 17, 2009

My first ticket in Haiti

Fiche de Contravention It has been a bit since I last updated the blog.  Sorry for the delay but it has been one of those weeks.  This post is about my first driving violation here in Haiti.  It has been quite an adventure but I thought I would share something of the process with you.  I finally got my driver’s license back yesterday afternoon.

June 25, 2009 – Our family has had a long day in Port-au-Prince.  We are tired and ready to head for home.  We are thirsty so as I make the turn from main Delmas onto Airport Road we stop at the side of the road to buy some bottles of water and Coke.  We are stopped for no more than 45 seconds.

Well, turns out they recently changed the sign and decided to start enforcing the rules at this corner.  No stopping.  I see the police officer come over and he asks to see my license.  I think he is wanting to check my papers but he starts writing out the “Fiche de Contravention” or ticket.  No grace, no warning.  And it turns out they take your license away until you pay the ticket.  Not a good end to the day.

July 14, 2009 – We have been busy with a team over on the island of Lagonav so I have not had time to take care of the ticket business.  Today I went to Port-au-Prince with our friend Josue.  We had hoped we could pay the ticket and maybe get out of having to attend traffic school.  But no joy.  Half a day spent going to various offices and paying the bill.

July 16, 2009 – Off to Port again for traffic school.  I have paid the ticket but most traffic violations mean you have to sit through a 3-hour class at the Circulation office.  So at 2PM Josue and I show up.

There are about 80-90 men in the class.  It is mid afternoon in the summertime so it is hot.  It is loud too as many of the guys are not paying attention.  The instructor for the first hour tells us about the 6 laws of driving.  We repeat her words.  She goes over the various road signs.  Below are some of favorite nuggets from the day.  It is unfortunate but most of it is a waste of time.

Law #4 trains have priority, stop when the signals are flashing.  The problem – there are no trains anywhere in Haiti!

They spend about 10 minutes going over signs for roads that have priority, meaning you have to give way when entering those roads.  The trouble?  There are none of these signs anywhere, so why learn it.

Lots of other laws on the books they talk about but no one follows them.  No talking on cell phones while driving.  Great idea but everyone does it and it is not enforced.  No littering – where is one supposed to but the garbage since there is no garbage collection.

The class ends just after 5PM and a police officer comes in with a stack of licenses.  They call out the names, we collect them and off we go.  I will certainly be a little more careful on the roads now that I know the police are on the lookout for dollars to collect.

Cost of No Stopping ticket  500 gourdes

Extra taxes and fees to Circulation   102 gourdes

Money collected for driving class   250 gourdes

What I learned about Haitian culture and driving rules   Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment