You heard it right – we have the Mule in our possession. After three months of effort plus countless hours preparing to send it, we have the Mule here at our house in Kaliko. I was finally able to get the paperwork cleared in Port-au-Prince after tracking it down at the General Office of Customs. They had to approve the valuation of the vehicle before everything was sent back to Saint Marc.
On Monday I was in Saint Marc paying the customs fees and various other amounts to get it cleared. Although I wanted to take it home then I had to wait for the Director to sign the paperwork confirming all the relevant amounts were paid.
Today I journeyed again to Saint Marc with some workers of a friend of mine, Chris Rollings. Chris generously agreed to loan me his flatbed truck and a few workers to get the Mule home to Kaliko. We had hoped to load it on their truck and drive it back to Kaliko – it turned out a little different.
After paying the parking fees we drove the Mule outside the security parking. It turned out to be too heavy to manually load onto the truck. So Plan B was for me to drive the Mule the 35 miles home with someone following in our Land Cruiser. It was a typical trip. When we went back after dropping the guys off the Land Cruiser back left tire was going flat. We had to change that and finally made our way home. It was a slow trip because the Mule is governed at 25 miles per hour (40 km/h). The slow drive did give a chance to enjoy the view!
Thanks again for your many prayers over the last months. The process has been rather painful but I am thankful to have it here and in one piece. It will be a great benefit to the ministry on Lagonav. Now the next part of the journey begins as we try and get the Mule to the island. Keep praying!
No comments:
Post a Comment